Monday, September 17, 2007

30, Teaching like you're 60

D'oh! In search of suggestions...

I've worked it out when I'm going to start teaching
classes - next week. I'll be doing grammar.

I understand the obvious need for grammar, but I'm
frustrated with how I'm going to have to do it.
Everyone here has been taught time and again that we
should "teach grammar in context" right? Right.

Both women, who are right around our ages, teach it
OUT of context and separate. They've both already
started the first half (parts of speech), which kind
of places the burden on me to finish my part (parts of
the sentence and DIAGRAMMING) in a similar manner.
They want to go straight through grammar. I want to
weep. (Well, not really. I'm just aggravated.)
Seriously. They sit in class and DO WORKSHEETS.

Come on! The NCTE website has a freaking POSITION
statement on not using exercises to teach grammar!
Which is exactly what my school is doing! "This
resolution was prompted by the continuing use of
repetitive grammar drills and exercises in the
teaching of English in many schools. Proposers pointed
out that ample evidence from 50 years of research has
shown the teaching of grammar in isolation does not
lead to improvement in students' speaking and writing,
and that in fact, it hinders development of students'
oral and written language."

I was trying to think of what to do: 1) do the grammar
exercises on the texts we'll be reading 2)use old
issues of the school newspaper or 3) use professional
newspaper articles covering the school. At least with
2 and 3 it's stuff that might be interesting to them
as it's about their community, but it doesn't get rid
of the fact that it's completely out of context.

Does anyone have a better idea?

No wonder kids hate grammar.

No comments: